(Барьеры и решения)
(Применение в науке, лаборатории, ..)
(Ссылки на другие сайты)
2020-01-22 01:49:15 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
OS/2 GURU published more reports about tested hardware
Database of hardware: http://os2.guru/hardware.php
- modern motherboards
- USB Audio adapters
What computer configuration is optimal for OS/2 in 2020?
- you don't need extreme NVidia video adapter
- no need in i9 and 64 Gb of RAM
- on the other side, it's stupid to run OS/2 on MMX and Pentium from 2004
OS/2 Benchmarks: http://os2.guru/sysbench
2020-01-04 01:44:17 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
We are collecting benchmark logs at
Let's analyze the results,
- No need to use expensive external video adapters.
Better use Intel integrated than NVidia external.
- (obviously) 4 cores is better than 2 cores
- (obviously) SSD is faster than HDD
- (obviously) New computers are faster than old
Let's collect other 30 reports to get more conclusions.
2019-12-15 23:14:50 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
The user have many questions:
- If you should assemble super fast computer,
is it necessary select the best CPU?
- What configuration is weak and slow in OS/2?
- What computer is good, doesn't freeze?
- Is it necessary buy the latest i7? or you can stay with Core 2 Duo?
Let's collect reports generated by sysbench
and make conclusions based on the statistics.
If you want play the game:
- Download sysbench
- start sysbench, select: All tests
- Wait (5 - 10 minutes), don't start apps
- save the report to 20191225.txt
- send the report and notes to email: eg at ecomstation dot ru
- Please add:
- a) Model of motherboard / laptop / brand PC
- b) CPU? how many cores do you see at Pulse?
- b) Model of video card, what driver: SNAP or Panorama?
- d) model of HDD / SSD:
We will collect the results at the site:
2019-12-14 01:51:09 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
We can't recall if OS/2 users were discussing upgrade of Core 2 Duo to
Xeon processors. Installation of Xeon LGA771 to LGA775 socket.
Seems that this topic was popular in the Internet since 2014.
Imagine that you upgrade CPU with 2 cores and cache 2 Mb
to *servre* CPU with 4 cores and 12 Mb cache. Of course,
your computer should work faster. Check Xeon E5430
If you have motherboard with Core 2 Duo
(LGA775), with support of 1333, 1600, then you can install
Quad Xeon CPU (LGA771).
Of course, you should make some efforts:
update bios from CD + cut the socket + attach small converter to cpu.
ATTENTION: Send us the comparison: Before and After
- use sysbench. collect All tests before and After upgrade
2019-12-11 16:57:10 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
OS2.GURU is interested publish installation of OS/2 on unique computer.
example: mini-itx с wifi (rus)
We expect that you show interesting computer:
- all-in-one computer with IPS screen
- Thinkpad X201 with IPS display
- new cheap laptop from a shop with UEFI
- Thinkpad W540 or other expensive
- Thinkpad T61 Frankenpad or Z61t
- mini-ITX с wifi motherboard
- industrial computer with mini-itx
- Acer 8930G 18"
The review seems finished if you describe how it will be used
(review of installed applications)
eCo Software can reward some reviews.
(virtual 5$, 10$, 15$ which you can spend to purchase our apps)
2018-11-24 02:33:18 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
We found a discussuon of ArcaOS (OS/2) for audiophiles at DAstereo.ru site.
(you need a modern web-browser to open this site)
2018-08-06 11:07:14 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru, Igor Sapegin]
ArcaOS 5.0 + Panorama videodriver support 4K monitors:
- use video adapter with support of 4K
- the video mode works if connect via DisplayPort, HDMI - doesn't
Now the user should solve the problem of small letters and icons.
2017-03-13 04:02:09 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
Help us find the discussion of AF standard for harddrives support in OS/2.
There was a discussion somewhere in the Internet, maybe at os2world.com
General questions: can you install OS/2 to AF disk?
Do you feel slow speed? How to create partitions to follow AF standard?
More OS/2 barriers: ESWay website
2016-07-20 23:09:45 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
This devices are supported in Operating systems: OS/2 Warp, ArcaOS, eComStation.
USB Ethernet adapter
For laptops which don't have Ethernet out.
USB Audio adapter with digital SPDIF out
It's manufactured in Russia (Moscow) for OS2.GURU site
Example of usage (RUS): обзор
Supported by CRC
Supported by CooLFM
2016-03-18 00:55:57 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
Wim Brul continues to update the drivers and utilities for web-cameras
The support of web-cameras may be used to create
"Microscope" application, to create utiliti aimed to capture photos from the camera,
to capture video.
How to support the project? Inform the developer, does the driver
support your web-camera or not.
2015-11-23 00:19:19 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [ecomstation.ru]
As you know, Lenovo removed (or lost) description of largest part of
Thinkpad laptops from own site. So you can't get information about laptops
manufactured before 2010. (the same problem with other types of computers: ThinkCentre desktops, Ideapad laptops)
Here is the website: support.lenovo.com
In the past you could input TYPE (Model) number and get configuration string. Example:
i7-2620M(2.7GHz) 4GB RAM 160GB Solid State Drive 14in 1600x900 LCD 1GB Nvidia N12P-NS2 CDRW/DVDRW Intel 802.11agn wireless WWAN Bluetooth 1Gb Ethernet UltraNav Secure Chip Fingerprint reader Camera 6c Li-Ion Win7 Pro 64
OS/2 users can help to other Thinkpad users.
We are collecting this text lines, to include this database to OS/2.
Send us TYPE and corresponding short description of configuration
The listings will be available for all users and published on
the site: ecomstation.ru/thinkpad
2015-11-14 02:52:36 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [ecomstation.ru]
What information about OS and PC do they user need when configuring OS/2,
when updating drivers?
What questions do you have? Scenarios:
- 0.1 What network adapter do I have?
- 1.A) Why video playback is slow? Do I have VGA driver or Panorama or SNAP?
- 1.B) Why disk operations are slow? Do I have IDE or SATA controller? Does SATA controller work in IDE or SATA mode?
- 3.A) All USB connectors are working or not?
- 3.B) Does PC detect my USB modem for mobile internet?
- 3.C) What are the params of onboard COM-port?
- 3.D) Do I have audio adapter? (when no sound)
- 3.E) What is the model of video adapter?
- 3.F) ID (Vendor:Product) of devices?
- 3.G) properties of disk #0
- 3.H) Why USB doesn't work? Does OS see USB controllers?
- 3.J) Why USB CD-ROM is not available? Does computer detect it?
- 3.K) what is the video driver?! SNAP or Panorama?
- 3.L) Do I have touch screen?
2015-11-07 01:54:02 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [ecomstation.ru]
How to accelerate Thinkpad X61, T61, R61, X300 (activate SATA 2, etc)?
Install custom Middleton BIOS for Thinkpad X61, T61, R61, X300.
Download Middleton BIOS
<--- página anterior
IBM OS/2 Warp